Here’s why:Restaurants cook with lots of fat because fat makes things taste delicious. So what you might think as being a “healthy rice” side, could turn into a calorie bomb because it is cooked with fat, paired with your buttery fish and veggies. So just to be on the safe-side, you can cut the carbs and feel okay about eating a little more fat in the meal. After we lay this all our for you, you will realize most of this is not rocket science. It’s just good ole common sense brought to your attention. With the help of our own CK clients, we have compiled a list of meals at some restaurants around Hattiesburg, MS. Yes, we are southern Mississippi and we love sweet tea and stick-to-your-ribs comfort food. But that is not an excuse. Just be smart!
Challenge for this weekend: NO gut bombs when you go out to eat. See if you can make these smarter choices when out and about in the Burg!In the Clean Kitchen 12 Week Challenge we get you really good at some basic habits. These habits are your blueprint for every meal, even at a restaurant. Habit #1 Drink more Water Order water instead of sodas or sweet tea. Even if you drink diet sodas, try subbing out one meal for just good ole h2o. Habit #2 Eat more plants This goes for any plant, fruit or veggie. If you have the opportunity to order it, do it. And the more the merrier. Only rule here is don’t fry it or cover it in a creamy sauce. Don’t be afraid to ask for sauce on the side, or better yet, hold the sauce. If it comes with butter, so be it. You are not necessarily looking for absolute perfection here. And lets be honest, butter got a bad wrap because of what you normally put it on, pancakes and rolls, so let’s not go there. You are working with the best possible scenario you can make. Habit #3 Protein in every meal If it is grilled, baked, roasted, raw, whatever you fancy it is good to go. Rules here are the same for the plants. Don’t fry it and cover it in a creamy-gut-bomb sauce. You can’t go wrong with meat and veggies!
Now you have your plan. All you have to do is fill in the blanks….
The Salad StationProbably the restaurant we frequent the most just because of ease and quickness! You could literally do a meal prep for several meals here. They offer a full salad bar and also a daily special hot bar. CK Salad Bowl combinations here in this post.
Purple Parrot Grilled fish with arugula, squash, asparagus and tomatoes. Simple, but so delicious!
- Sides: Garlic green beans; go easy on the oil. Fresh fruit. Small house salad with balsamic dressing
- House salad with chicken, salmon or grilled shrimp, no candied pecans or cornbread croutons, with balsamic dressing
- Pan roasted chicken with green beans and carrots
- New Orleans BBQ shrimp with green beans
- Blackened Redfish, no sauce, with green beans
Crescent City Grill One of my all time favorite, no stress eating experiences. I love the “Choose 3” option. With so many good sides, you are seriously satisfied. Yes, you may want a sweet bite, but you can resist! Crescent City Veggie Sampler Plate with chicken or catch of day
- warm spinach salad
- steamed broccoli
- steamed garden veggies
- sugar snap peas
- World’s Healthiest Lunch (w/chicken or fish and veggies) -- perfect pick up to go!
- Big House Salad with Salmon
The Birdhouse Cafe Chef Katie Dixon offers healthy, clean menu chocked full of yummies! Check out the full menu online and her meal prep ordering service. One of my favorites is The Dillon - mushroom, egg, roasted red pepper, spinach, swiss, over quinoa cake or the Mexican Wrestler salad with chicken (pictured).
South Mouth Deli We are proud to announce our "Clean Kitchen"menu at South Mouth! Working with South Mouth we created a menu of CK approved items using inspiration from some of our recipes and South Mouth Menu items re-vamped a little to fit with our program. Located in West Hattiesburg, in the Newpoint Shopping center.
Half She Oyster House
- Royal Reds with a side of veggies
- Lunch Menu: Grilled Chicken or fish with THE Broccoli. This meal is one of my favorites! My 5 year-old son even loves their broccoli! I’m sure it has something to do with the seasoned butter they use, but man it is GOOD. I request the same at dinner. It comes with a red pepper aioli on the side; a little dip here and there isn’t going to hurt!
- Mushroom Chicken
- Chicken and Green Beans
- Teriyaki grilled chicken (no sauce)
- Mixed veggies for your side
Panda Chinese (Kamper Park)
- Steamed chicken or shrimp and broccoli or mixed veggies (no rice or sauce)
- Chicken or steak Fajita Platter: no rice, double beans. These are pretty big portions so you could always make 2 meals out of this!
- Chicken fajita salad: no shell, no cheese, and pile on the salsa!
Which Wich This is basically make a sandwich in a bowl. Perfect for fast, easy no hassle lunch.
- Double meat bowlwich or add egg and bacon, skip all the way down to the veggies….avocado, spinach, tomatoes, pickles, banana peppers, cucumbers, bell peppers, salt pepper, vinegar.
Subway Build your chopped salad for lunch or breakfast!
- I’ll get two egg whites or double turkey; and usually build a salad bowl with spinach, tomatoes, banana peppers, olives, bell peppers, onion, and cucumber. Dress with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.
Dickies BBQ This is my favorite go-to-protein when I have nothing prepped! You can buy their meat by the pound. Perfect when you have no time to cook! An yes, I do have a little BBQ sauce, but as long as you do not go overboard you will be fine.
- Chicken- Italian marinated
- Turkey – roasted, my favorite!
- Pulled Pork
Strick’s BBQ I’m a sucker for some smoked chicken. Any part, chicken breasts, drumsticks and chicken thighs. I think Strick’s has the BEST smoked meat. With a side of green beans you are good to go. Strick’s also sells meats by the pound. You can get whole smoked turkeys, drumettes, and half chicken.
Smoothie King Home of the “Versus” Smoothie! Short story is, Coach Kellar started experimenting with the Gladiator Protein and Lean One protein in order to make a smoothie with less sugar. The Versus smoothie was born! It sold so well in Hattiesburg, Smoothie King Corporate now has it on their main menu as the “Firm N’ Burn.” I like the chocolate, Kellar likes the vanilla!
- 20 oz Firm & Burn: 290 cal, 10 g fat, 6 g sugar, 36 g protein, 5 g fiber, 17 g carbs
- 20 oz Gladiator (Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry): 180 cal, 0 fat, 1 carb, 0 sugar, 45 g protein, 0 fiber
- Coach Jamie Salad
- Naked burrito bowl (no rice)
- Mexican Gumbo (no rice or chips)
- Salmon and Arugula Salad
- Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- dress with lemon juice and vinegar
- Hummus with carrots, celery, or cucumber
- Santorini salad (can do without feta) with oil and vinegar
- Gyro plate, no pita, extra veggies
Keg and Barrel
- Spinach Tuna Salad
- Spinach salad add turkey, (no croutons or goat cheese if you wish)
- Pesto Grilled Chicken Salad, no swiss cheese or croutons
- T-bones Power salad, no cheese or croutons
- The Main or McLeod salad with turkey or fried egg (no cranberries or glazed pecans)
- Burger on bed of spinach instead of bun
- Red bean hummus with carrots and sugar snap peas (no bread)