This is a “broccoli and cheese” soup revamp! We’ve bumped up the protein and nutrients by using bone broth as our base. Instead of cheddar cheese and heavy cream, we used fat free cream cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top. Bump up the protein even more with using Greek Cream Cheese! So so yummy. Even though this soup does not have a meat protein source, it still packs 18.5 grams of protein in one serving!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Servings: 4 (very large) servings 🙂
Macros per serving: (used My Fitness Pal)
- Calories 153
- Fat .5 grams (if using fat free)
- Carbs 15 g (12 net)
- Fiber 3 g
- Sugar 8.2 g
- Protein 18.5 g
- 4 cups broccoli florets (or one bag of frozen), plus more to mix in soup later (optional).
- 1 cup shredded carrots- totally fine to use canned carrots here.
- 1/2 large yellow onion (or 1 cup frozen chopped onion)
- 8 oz brick greek cream cheese or fat free cream cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese to top with (optional)
- 4 cups chicken bone broth (you can sub out with regular chicken stock, but the protein and nutritional benefits will change).
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients, except for cream cheese and parm, in a crock pot.
- Cook on low for 5 hours. If using frozen you may need slightly longer.
- At the end of the 5 hours, once all veggies are softened, you will need to blend the crock pot contents together with the cream cheese. You have two options.
- Option 1: Use a hand blender (like pictured) and blend everything together right in the crock pot.
- Option 2: Let the crock pot contents cool, then transfer to a blender or food processor to blend. It safer to let it cool before you start pouring!
- Once all is blended you can stir in extra broccoli florets. I used steamed ones. Then topped the bowl with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
1: Do not leave the soup cooking in the crock pot too long after adding the cream cheese. It can burn.
2: I’ve used raw carrots and canned carrots before. I like the canned carrots better because my raw carrots could have used a bit longer cooking time.