I am obsessed with this soup. Seriously. Not only is it dairy free, but it is oh-so-comforting. Even better, you can use this coconut curry broth as a base for what ever else you would like to add to it—noodles, shrimp, chicken, more veggies. It really does not matter what veggies or protein you add in!
I’ve made this with the bare minimum as listed below, and I have also added tons of stuff as pictured above. Use what you want and leave out what you don’t want! The real star of the show is the broth so do not skip on any of the base ingredients!
- 4 garlic cloves
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 tbs ginger, fresh grated (I keep a knob of fresh ginger in my freezer and grate it when needed)
- Juice of 3 lemons or lime juice (or about 1/3 cup)
- fresh cilantro
- green onions
- 4 cups of broth
- 2 cans of 14 oz low fat coconut milk
- 4 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt to taste (less veggies doesn’t need it, the fish sauce is salty enough)
- 1-2 tbs red curry (add more or less depending on if you like some heat!)
- 6 drops liquid stevia or more to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot and add carrots and mushrooms.
- Cook for about 6-7 minutes until carrots and mushrooms get soft. If I have time, I let them cook even longer to help caramelize them.
- About half way through cooking the veggies, add the minced garlic and ginger,
- Then you can add all the liquids and seasonings—everything but the stevia. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, add the stevia to the pot a stir. You do not want to add it while cooking because it can become bitter tasting.
- Top with fresh cilantro and green onions.
- 1 pound of meat – shredded chicken or shrimp
- Bok Choy – I used this above pictured only because I was trying to use a “new plant” for the week 🙂
- Leeks, onions
- Edamame noodles
Really any veggies you would like! Just keep in mind you may need more seasoning depending on how much extra you add in.
Want to make a smaller batch? Try it in an Instapot!
Instapot: 2 servings
- 3 cups broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp red curry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs ginger grated
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- salt to taste and lime juice added after cooking
Add to Instapot:
Stock, coconut milk, red curry, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, carrots, any other veggies, chicken breast and cook on high for 5-6 minutes.