#1 Lifestyle Habit: Drink more water
During the 12 Week Clean Kitchen Challenge
, we teach you how to apply simple daily lifestyle habits that will get you to your goals. We have our "Four BIG Habits," which we consider to be the core of a healthy life. First up, you need to drink more water. This very simple habit, that can cripple the best of us. If you are thirsty reading this, stop now, go fill up a glass of water, then continue reading. Drinking more water is not just one of the Clean Kitchen 4 BIG Habits, it is the number one, most important habit of them all. You do not have an option, you will literally die without water!! Well not immediately anyway. So before we get that desperate, let's knock dehydration in the teeth and amp up that water consumption! Your body is composed of roughly 60% water. That means when we are dehydrated – and most of us spend our days constantly dehydrated to some degree – we are affecting the performance of the majority of our body. Nearly all of our systems do not function as well without the proper water intake. And, guess what…by the time you experience the sensation of being thirsty, you are already dehydrated. That thirst is your body calling for re-hydration.
What happens when you drink more water?
Lots of good things!
- Water is the body's transporter of nutrients so you can build muscle, burn fat, and absorb all the good stuff.
- Speeds up digestion -- in other words, if you are constipated, drink more water!
- Regulates body temperature
- Lubricates joints
When your body has enough water to work properly, that means every single fat-burning-muscle-building system works better. After all this is what we are after!
What happens when you are dehydrated?
Your body systems start to shut down. When bodily functions slow down, that means progress slows down. Your body goes into survival mode, conservation mode. Muscle building is last on the list and conserving fat for energy is top priority.
Symptoms of dehydration include:
- dry skin
- fatigue and weakness
- increased body temperature
- muscle cramping
- darker-coloured urine
- dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose, eyes)
10 reasons to Drink more water:
- 75% of your brain is water
- Regulates body temp during exercise
- keeps skin looking healthy
- protects your heart
- helps burn body fat
- prevents constipation and speeds up digestion
- decreases fatigue
- carries oxygen to cells
- flushes out toxins
- aids in muscle recovery
Quick tips for drinking more water:
Drink half your body weight in ounces of water. That can seem like a lot for some, but should be a goal! Here are few ways CK Clients go about drinking their water for the day.
- Carry a bottle with you everywhere you go. Usually a large, bright bottle will help remind you to keep drinking.
- Make a water drinking timeline on your bottle to keep you on track for the day.
- Set a goal number of small water bottle to get through the day, and drink one every hour or so.
- Not a fan of plain water? Do some fruit infused water!
How do you start this habit?
You may not be able to get half your body weight in ounces just yet, but a simple swap in beverages is a great start. For example, replace your lunch beverage with a big ole glass of H20, with unlimited refills! Do this everyday for one week. After you tackle that week, try to add in more water at different meals or breaks in the day. Start small to make BIG changes!