Lower fat and lower sugar version of a kid classic! Most sloppy joe sauces are made with ketchup and brown sugar. We basically revamped this to be a tangier version with a little sweetness using stevia. To add to the sweetness, we piled our mix high on some roasted sweet potato slices! Update: I have changed some ingredients around. I now use 1 can of crushed tomatoes instead of using tomato sauce, tomato paste, and no arrowroot flour. The crushed tomatoes make it thick enough without the need for arrowroot flour!
- 1.25 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tbs tomato paste (optional just to help thicken more)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tbs white distilled vinegar
- 1 tbs mustard yellow
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Drops stevia to taste
- 3 tsp arrowroot flour or corn starch
- Heat stove top pan with 1 tbs olive oil, brown meat and cook chopped onions.
- Drain meat juices, then add everything to the pan. Stir together and simmer until thickens to your likeness. If you want it to tighten up even more, add another teaspoon of arrowroot flour.
For sweet potato slices: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice sweet potatoes and season on pan with salt, garlic and onion, or any pieces you would like. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes.