We took the processed pasta out and packed this sweet potato lasagna with the nutrient power house, sweet potatoes! Yes, this is a higher carb recipe, but that makes for a great post workout meal. Carbs can be your friend for post workout meals! Check out "post workout
" in our Categories for more ideas. Need to make this low carb?
No problem! Swap the potatoes for sliced zucchini instead!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Servings: 6-8 servings
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey meat or ground sirloin
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced, about 1/4-inch slices or thinner 1 small onion
- 1 cup low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- *1 serving CK Marinara Blend or 1 packet McCormick’s Thick & Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Mix
CK Marinara Blend 1/2 tbsp. dried basil 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano 1 tsp. dried thyme 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp. onion powder 1 tsp. kosher salt 2 tsp. arrowroot flour or cornstarch
*Instead of making your sauce from scratch, skip these ingredients and sub out your own preferred jarred spaghetti sauce.
MEAT SAUCE DIRECTIONS
Cook onions and meat in 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Drain juices, then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and CK Marinara Blend or Thick & Zesty packet. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti meat sauce as directed, or use the subs.
- While spaghetti sauce is cooking, mix cottage cheese and egg. Set aside.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, then layer.
- Layer 1: sweet potato slices Layer 2: meat sauce (half) Layer 3: cottage cheese mixture, all of it. 5. Repeat the layers of sweet potato, meat sauce, and top with parmesan or low-fat mozzarella.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.