Red Beans & Rice with "ketchup"
When I was young my mom made red beans and rice all the time....and I use to drown it in ketchup. Crazy sounding, I know. I grew up always thinking that is how you eat red beans and rice. I love ketchup! And here's a peculiar nugget of information, Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
smells EXACTLY like worcestershire sauce and ketchup mixed together. Score! So I made a "ketchup" using the Neapolitan Herb Balsamic, salsa and Garlic Olive Oil to drizzle on top of the bowl. SO GOOD!!! Adapted from: Grandbabycakes.com
Prep time: Beans soak overnight + assembly 10 minutes Cook time: 2-2.5 hours Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons J. Olive Co. garlic olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of Frozen Seasonal Blend Veggies (onions, celery, bellpeppers)
- 1 pack of turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon J. Olive Co. Neapolitan Herb Balsamic or worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1½ teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 pound bag of dried red beans (already soaked overnight and drained) - You can used canned beans, but if beans ya know...wreck your insides...consider soaking dry beans. It makes the beans easier to digest and less "after effects" than canned beans. Just put your beans in water high enough to cover it a few inches and let them sit.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice to serve with beans
Neapolitan Herb "Ketchup"
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, celery and bell peppers and cook until they begin to caramelize and tenderize.
- Next add in sausage and brown.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes making sure not to burn.
- Turn heat up to medium high and add chicken stock, water, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and creole seasoning then stir in red beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring liquid to a boil then turn heat down to low, cover with lid and cook for 2 - 2½ hours until beans are tender and liquid as thickened. Note: Mine cooked a little faster and not quite 2 hours.
- Check flavor of beans and season with salt and pepper to taste, stir and turn off heat.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and allow beans to continue thickening.
- Serve with rice and drizzle with "ketchup"
Combine 1 cup salsa, 1/4 cup Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
in a sauce pot. Simmer about 5-8 minutes. Drizzle on top of red beans and rice bowl.