I made this soup wanting something hearty, but dairy-free, and mexican flavors are one of my favorite kind of meals! This is a new family favorite! And of course super easy. I would even think this would work fine in the Instapot to cook the meat and soup ingredients all at the same time.
Most of my recipes or hacks are created out of necessity. My main limiting factor would be that my son thinks “everything” I cook is “healthy.” To him, it doesn’t matter if I slather it with a pound of cheese. If I cook it, then it is healthy and he automatically doesn’t like it. So I do a lot of meals I can put a kid-twist on without having to cook an entirely different meal. And even though he turned his nose up at this at first, he still ate it. And my husband loved it too!
For mom’s casserole, I put the enchilada mix in a casserole dish. I also think this would be tasty with some spaghetti squash in the mix to make it more like a casserole rather than a meat casserole. None the less, it was still tasty! I paired it with a side salad. Mom, build yours into an enchilada salad bowl with some spinach, chopped black olives, greek yogurt, maybe even some more beans if you have them!
- 1 pound of ground turkey meat
- 4 very large bell peppers
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes – drained
- 1/4 cup + chicken stock
- 4 tbs low fat mozzarella cheese – optional
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour or corn starch – optional, for thickening, found in baking/flour section of grocery store
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil (or other fat)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-1 tsp salt