under 5 minutes – unless you need to defrost shrimp
under 10 minutes
This recipe is so simple and fast. I have made this every year for our annual Christmas party for 2 reasons. One, is so freakin good and a crowd pleaser. Two, it is very scalable to larger portions and cooks fast. To keep it warm for the party I just transfer everything to a warm crock pot. This recipe says "spicy" but you don't have to make it that way! Keep reading!
- 1 lb. raw shrimp
- 6 oz turkey sausage, chopped ( I used half a pack of Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (yellow or white. You can also use chopped frozen)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, about half a lemon
A few notes about ingredients:
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Frank’s RedHot sauce, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- black pepper to taste
I use frozen, which I defrost in water before cooking with sauce. Or you can use precooked.
There is really no way to screw this up unless you make it too salty. I do not add extra salt to this because the sausage, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce all add enough.
If you do not have a lemon, just sub it out for a vinegar. Or sometimes I will use just lemon pepper.
If you need to defrost shrimp, place frozen shrimp in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes. If you want to speed it up even more just cook the frozen shrimp in a separate skillet, then add to sauce mix at step 4.
Post workout meal:
- In a medium-sized pan, add oil, chopped onion, and sliced sausage and cook over medium heat.
- Once onions are translucent, add garlic or garlic powder, and cook sausage and onions until brown edges start to form.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and Frank’s (to taste) and let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add raw shrimp and season with lemon juice and pepper. Simmer until shrimp curls, then remove and enjoy!
Serve over 1/2 cup of rice or quinoa.
Anytime meal or low carb meal:
Serve over CK Cauliflower grits.