By now I think most people understand my love for sauces. And this post of recipes will not disappoint the sauce-addicts of the world! The J. Olive Co. Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
and Garlic Olive Oil
is the perfect combo to make a rich and tangy flavor to any comfort food recipe. In this post we have Red Beans & Rice and a "ketchup," Oven "Fried" Green Tomatoes with Comeback sauce, Roasted "Everything" Eggplant and yellow squash, and Balsamic Potato Hash! Let's get cooking!
Red Beans & Rice with "ketchup"
When I was young my mom made red beans and rice all the time....and I use to drown it in ketchup. Crazy sounding, I know. I grew up always thinking that is how you eat red beans and rice. I love ketchup! And here's a peculiar nugget of information, Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
smells EXACTLY like worcestershire sauce and ketchup mixed together. Score! So I made a "ketchup" using the Neapolitan Herb Balsamic, salsa and Garlic Olive Oil to drizzle on top of the bowl. SO GOOD!!!
Adapted from: Grandbabycakes.com
Prep time: Beans soak overnight + assembly 10 minutes
Cook time: 2-2.5 hours
- 2 tablespoons J. Olive Co. garlic olive oil
- 2 cups of Frozen Seasonal Blend Veggies (onions, celery, bellpeppers)
- 1 pack of turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon J. Olive Co. Neapolitan Herb Balsamic or worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1½ teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 pound bag of dried red beans (already soaked overnight and drained) - You can used canned beans, but if beans ya know...wreck your insides...consider soaking dry beans. It makes the beans easier to digest and less "after effects" than canned beans. Just put your beans in water high enough to cover it a few inches and let them sit.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice to serve with beans
Neapolitan Herb "Ketchup"
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, celery and bell peppers and cook until they begin to caramelize and tenderize.
- Next add in sausage and brown.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes making sure not to burn.
- Turn heat up to medium high and add chicken stock, water, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and creole seasoning then stir in red beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring liquid to a boil then turn heat down to low, cover with lid and cook for 2 - 2½ hours until beans are tender and liquid as thickened. Note: Mine cooked a little faster and not quite 2 hours.
- Check flavor of beans and season with salt and pepper to taste, stir and turn off heat.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and allow beans to continue thickening.
- Serve with rice and drizzle with "ketchup"
Combine 1 cup salsa, 1/4 cup Neapolitan Herb Balsamic in a sauce pot. Simmer about 5-8 minutes. Drizzle on top of red beans and rice bowl.
Oven "fried" Green Tomatoes with Comeback Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Flour mix together:
- 4 medium green tomatoes: 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbs Neapolitan Herb balsamic
- 1 tsp ms dash lemon pepper
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic Olive Oil - this will help the crust get crispy!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Mix with hands to help massage the garlic oil in in the flour or pulse in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix flour ingredients in a wide bowl or plate.
- Mix in a separate bowl, mix 2 eggs with 1 tbs neopalitan herb balsamic.
- Slice green tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- First dredge slices through egg wash, then dredge through flour mix.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven 30 minutes.
- Flip tomatoes to other side and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with Comeback dipping sauce.
- 1 cup Greek
- 3 tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
- 1 tsp Creole Seasoning Blend
- 1 tbs cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp hot sauce
Roasted "Everything" Eggplant and Yellow Squash
This "recipe" just calls for however much you want to make. For my batch I used 2 small eggplants and 2 yellow squash. I had some okra so I threw it on the pan as well. Next I used the CK Everything Seasoning (same stuff on an Everything Bagel). I usually make a small jar of the seasoning to keep on hand.
CK Everything Seasoning Jar
Instructions for veggies
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion (or flakes)
- 2 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 2 tbsp toasted white sesame seed
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt (if you can find sea salt flakes even better!)
- 1/4 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice egg plant, place on baking sheet, season with salt.
- slice squash, top egg plant, season with CK Everything Seasoning.
- Spritz entire layer with olive oil spray or a light drizzle of J. Olive Co. Garlic Olive Oil
- Roast in oven 30-45 minutes.
- Finish plate with a drizzle of Neapolitan Herb Balsamic over all the veggies!
Balsamic Potato Hash
Serve this hash up with a side of eggs and CK Turkey Breakfast Sausage!
Cook time: about 20 minutes
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 3 red potatoes
- 3 large shitake mushrooms
1: Chop all potatoes (keep skins on just scrub really good) and mushrooms. The smaller dice, the quicker the potatoes will cook and the less chicken stock you will need to use later.
Preheat pan with 1-2 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat.
2: Before adding to the pan, season veggies in a bowl and toss well with a drizzle of Garlic olive oil.
3: Add veggies to pan and cover. Now just let the mix cook. Occasionally I will spray the mix with olive oil spray just to wet it.
4: Once some brown bits start to form, adding in about 1/4 cup of chicken stock or water to help soften the potatoes. Keep stirring, cover again.
Note: Depending on how big your potato pieces are will determine how much stock you need to keep adding. Just add a little at time, deglazing the pan each time.
4: At the very end I add about 1/4 cup (or 3 tbs) of balsamic vinegar. Make sure the pan stays really hot so once the vinegar hits there is a big sizzle and it caramelizes quickly. Do not cover again. Just let the liquid soak in and keep tossing until desired “crispiness.
- 1/4 cup + Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
- 2 tbsp Garlic Olive oil - 1 tbs for veggies, 1 tbs for heating in pan
- 1/4 cup + chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- kosher salt to taste
- sprinkle of black pepper
- olive oil cooking spray