Savory and rich and great for grilling! For this month’s pairing, Black Mission fig Balsamic and Wild Mushroom & Sage Olive oil, I went with marinades and barbecue sauce! I absolutely love roasted or grilled mushrooms. Marinate veggies in this pairing for an easy side dish to any meal. First up, I did a twist on Mushroom “Steak and Eggs,” and second I made a barbecue sauce for CK Turkey Sausage Meatball Kabobs!
Mushroom “Steak and Eggs”
- 2 Portobello mushroom steak caps
- Onion ring slices
- Bell pepper ring slices
- Parmesan cheese
1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2: Marinate mushroom caps for 30 minutes in :
3: Place mushroom caps (bottoms up) on baking sheet.
4: Season marinated mushroom caps to taste with kosher salt.
5: Top mushroom caps with bell pepper slices, onion slices and sprinkle of parm cheese.
6: Season to taste with:
- kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
7: Top off with drizzle of Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive oil.
8: Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then broil on high for 5 minutes to brown tops.
Turkey Sausage Meatball Kabobs
- About 18 CK Turkey Sausage Meatballs (recipe below)
- 1 red bell pepper, thick chopped pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, thick chopped pieces
- 2 onions, thick chopped pieces
- Baby portobello mushroom caps
Barbecue sauce ingredients:
- 1/3 cup J. Olive Co. Black Mission Fig Balsamic
- 1 tbs J. Olive Co. Wild Mushroom & Sage Olive oil
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce
CK Turkey Sausage meatballs:
- 2 pounds ground turkey (93/7) or ground chicken
- 1/4-1/2 cup minced raw onion – I mince mine in my mini food processor
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp minced garlic (I used dried minced)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1: Preheat grill to about 450 degrees.
2: Rough, thick chop all veggies and add to mixing bowl. Toss veggies in a drizzle of Mushroom & Sage Olive oil and kosher salt to taste. Set aside.
3: Mix CK Turkey Sausage meat and form into about 18 meatballs (about the size of a golf ball).
4: Assemble skewers with 3 meatballs per skewer (using metal skewers or water soaked wooden skewers):
- Mushroom cap
- bell pepper
5: Cook on grill for about 5-6 minutes per side. Total cook time about 12-15 minutes.
6: While kabobs are cooking, cook barbecue sauce. Add to a sauce pan tomato sauce, soy sauce, balsamic and oil and simmer over medium to high heat for about 5-6 minutes or until thickens slightly.
7: Baste kabobs with barbecue sauce as they cook on the second side.