This is a revamp of the Fit Kids Kitchen Beefy Soup recipe. Same great flavor, just a little lower fat and lower carb. We promise you will want more than one bowl of this! To make this a nutritional powerhouse, we use locally made beef bone broth, by Lisa Phelps in Hattiesburg, Ms.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or ground sirloin
- 1 small onion, chopped or 1 cup frozen onions
- 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies
- 8 oz (1/2 bag) frozen cut green beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef bone broth or stock
- 1 tbs arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 1 tbs Better Than Bullion Beef base or 2 beef bouillon cubes*
- 2 tbs butter or ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- *Depending on how salty you bone broth or stock is will determine how much buillion you should use. We use a minimally salted bone broth. Taste test your soup before adding more salt or bullion.
- In a large stock pot, heat ghee over medium heat. Add onions and meat.
- Brown meat, then drain juices and return to pot and stove.
- While meat is cooking, in a bowl mix together the bone broth with 1 tbs of arrow root flour and set aside.
- Add all frozen veggies to pot and stir. Let them defrost and come back to medium heat.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to pot, stir.
- Stir in garlic powder and beef bullion.
- Pour in beef bone broth and arrowroot flour mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The arrowroot flour should help the liquid tighten up a bit. Stir occasionally.