We took the processed pasta out and packed this sweet potato lasagna with the nutrient power house, sweet potatoes! Yes, this is a higher carb recipe, but that makes for a great post workout meal. Carbs can be your friend for post workout meals! Check out “post workout” in our Categories for more ideas.
Need to make this low carb? No problem! Swap the potatoes for sliced zucchini instead!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 6-8 servings
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey meat or ground sirloin
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced, about 1/4-inch slices or thinner 1 small onion
- 1 cup low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Fifteen oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 serving CK Marinara Blend or 1 packet McCormick’s Thick & Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Mix
- CK Marinara Blend
1/2 tbsp. dried basil
1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. arrowroot flour or cornstarch
*Instead of making your sauce from scratch, skip these ingredients and sub out your own preferred jarred spaghetti sauce.
MEAT SAUCE DIRECTIONS
Cook onions and meat in 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Drain juices, then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and CK Marinara Blend or Thick & Zesty packet. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti meat sauce as directed, or use the subs.
- While spaghetti sauce is cooking, mix cottage cheese and egg. Set aside.
- Spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, then layer.
- Layer 1: sweet potato slices
Layer 2: meat sauce (half)
Third Layer: cottage cheese mixture, all of it. 5. Repeat the layers of sweet potato, meat sauce, and top with parmesan or low-fat mozzarella.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.